The Slyboots School of Music, Art & Dance offering a workshop on site of their FUTURE HOME- the Richmond Ferry Church– as a part of the Hands Across Buffalo event on May 17, 2014
Photos taken by Jordan Lema of Lemur Studios
More information HERE!
Facebook event is HERE
The Slyboots School of Music, Art & Dance
Summer Season Opener
SUNDAY – May 25, 2014
@ The Alt Theater 255 Great Arrow Ave (3rd floor)
Buffalo, NY 14207
Open to all ages
$10-15 Suggested Donation
Pssst– Can you keep a secret? Come join us on May 25th and we will let you in on a little something, on the sly.
-Unveiling the Slyboots Summer Course Offering
– New location revealed for the Slyboots School Head Quarters
-Slyboots Summer Camp and SLYFEST 9 Announcement
Rebirth. Rejoice. Reestablish the Slyboots School of Music, Art & Dance!
LIVE music, art and dance
Beer & Wine
the Slyboots Circus
Eric Borketey Ansuade
Ashley Vita Verde
Buffalo Aerial Dance
and more TBA
P A S S I T O N
(Interested in donating a performance or piece of art for the good cause?? Email- Slyboots@me.com)
The Slyboots School of Music, Art and Dance Head Quarters is located in Buffalo, NY and has proudly served the music, dance and art communities in WNY and CNY over the past decade, on the sly. First and foremost renowned for their educational workshops and private instruction, The Slyboots School has been rapidly gaining a name in the Upstate New York Festival scene with their annual fundraiser, SLYFEST– a 3 day camping extravaganza featuring live music, art installations, workshops, YOGA, swimming and even a Hot Air Balloon– held at the Griffis Sculpture Park in Ellicottville, NY. SLYFEST 9 is set to take place in conjunction with the SLYBOOTS SUMMER CAMP in August of 2014.
As the Sly family grows from their humble roots in Fredonia, NY to engage larger communities in the Upstate New York area, we have been simultaneously branching out to address issues in our global village and utilize world music as a vehicle to unite people from around the word and manifest positive social change in our communities and beyond. September 2013 marked the start of the Slyboots School’s 7th US tour with Bernard Woma and the SAAKUMU Dance Troupe from Ghana, West Africa- performing at colleges and universities, clubs and schools all over the country.
The Slyboots School of Music, Art and Dance has become an international touring organization devoted to promoting positive social change through cultural arts education. Slyboots has helped to expose an estimated 40,000 students to cultural arts programming EVERY year since 2006– that’s 560,000 lives inspired, on the sly.
A vast majority of these students are engaged while touring to colleges, universities, high schools, middle schools, elementary schools and clubs across the US including:
– Berklee College of Music- Boston, MA
– Eastman School of Music- Rochester, NY
– Indiana University – Bloomington, IN
– SUNY Fredonia- Fredonia, NY
– University of Buffalo – Buffalo, NY
– Goddard College – Plainfield, VT
– Canisius College- Buffalo, NY
– SUNY Buffalo- Buffalo, NY
– Villa Maria College- Buffalo, NY
– Daemen College- Buffalo, NY
– University at Tennessee – Knoxville, TN
– NYU- Manhattan, NY
– Hamlin University- St Paul, MN
– Gustavus Adolphus- St Peter, MN
– Concordia College- Moorehead, MN
– Alfred University- Alfred, NY
– Colorado State University – Fort Collins, CO
– Fort Lewis College- Durango, CO
– Adams State College- Alamosa, CO
– North Carolina University
– Akron University- Akron, OH
– Babson College- Boston, MA
– Northern Michigan University – Marquette, MI
– RIT – Rochester, NY
and many more.
SAAKUMU is the resident ensemble at the Dagara Music Center and is under the direction of master musician, Bernard Woma. We are ecstatic to announce that SAAKUMU will be back in the US and on tour with Slyboots School founder, Griffin Brady, for their 8th consecutive year and SAAKUMU will once again be featured as Artists in Residence (when not on the road) at the Slyboots School temporary location– the Alt Theater– in Buffalo during the Fall of 2014.
The Slyboots School also organizes a study abroad adventure to Ghana, West Africa every summer to study the music, art and culture of West Africa at the Dagara Music Center. The next trip is scheduled to run in July 2014.
The Slyboots School of Music, Art and Dance is the proud home of the following performing ensembles:
~The SAAKUMU Dance Troupe of Ghana, West Africa
~The Slyboots Drumming Ensemble
~The Slyboots Circus
~Mohamed Diaby and Manding Foli Kan Don
email firstname.lastname@example.org for all booking inquires
for more information go to: www.slybootsbuffalo.com
Join our mailing list here: http://eepurl.com/yknZD
Positive social change through cultural arts education. Educate students about music, art and dance from various cultures all over the world. Inspire students to discover their own uniqueness through the arts and by doing so, allowing them to understand the interconnectedness and importance of culture and the arts in today’s world.
• Preregister 40-50 students of all ages to attend
• Supply world class arts education in the form of interactive workshops, lectures, group activities and performances
• Arrange for transportation from the Slyboots School to Griffis Park
•We will offer a network of instructors skilled in a wide variety of topics with a focus on direct experience, including topics ranging from:
• Literacy – including creative writing, performance and poetry, storytelling, bookmaking, and public speaking
• Music – including Music for Everyone, percussion, folk music, electronic music, singing, improvisational ensemble , and performance craft.
• Dance & Movement – Yoga, Circus Arts (juggling, hooping, slack-rope), swing/hip-hop dance, and bicycle riding
• Art – Found art, Natural Art, Drawing, Painting, Media, Video production, light photography, and pottery
• Science & Math – Exploratory Science, Builders Math (structures & vessels), architectural exploration, and bicycle mechanics
Session Dates and Times
August 2nd & 3rd- Opening Ceremony/Registration 12-4pm
August 4, 5, 6, 7 & 8- Slyboots Summer CAMP
August 9 & 10- Closing Ceremony/SLYFEST 9
The cost of attending one 5-day session is as follows:
$150 per student
$ 200 per student with transportation
+$50 for Extended Day 9am- 6pm
*A limited number of scholarships are available. Please call the Slyboots School of Music, Art & Dance in the event of financial hardship.